Friday, December 23, 2005

Jay Mandal's Questions

I have never met Jay Mandal in person. But his has been the first big city chapter of the ANTA, in Chicago. On December 21, he emailed some of us a whole batch of questions.

My interaction with the Pahadis in the Nepali diaspora has brought me face to face again with how fundamental this issue is to my identity. My Madhesi identity is a huge part of who I am, and that is to be a lifetime reality. The Madhesi-Pahadi dynamic also speaks to me at other levels. Race is the number one reality in my life. My thoughts on politics, business and technology emanate from that. The Madhesi dynamic helps me think through the race dynamic. That is also why I like to learn of gender issues. They help me better understand issues in race.

It is not like there is a group called Pahadis, and there is another group called Madhesis, and the Pahadis dislike the Madhesis. It is more like there is something called the Madhesi identity, and both Pahadis and Madhesis dislike that identity. How else to explain the self-hate among the Madhesis?

I think that also applies to issues in race and gender.

The only other group that are like Madhesis I know of are women on the planet. They have the numbers, but they don't have the power. And I think it is harder for women to make progress because men are so interwoven into all aspects of their lives.

ANTA is not militant enough, not political enough for me. That is why I have so far refused to hold any official title within it.

Coming to Jay's questions.

Hello Binay and Ritesh,

Congratulation to NY Chapter whole team on doing a great job. Please let me know if you need anything from me.

I am currently working on plans to develop the process and ways of the support from ANTA can do to all the chapters.

Please let me Newyork's Chapter ideas and views and plan about creating methodological process to build the system of chapter creation and support for the Chapters. The whole ideas is to create the system sothat people can run the chapter and ANTA can support the chapter in a such a way that it will function smoothly.

I would appreciate if you could give some input from the New York Team like following questions.

1) How many chapters we want to open in AMERICA?
2) How many positions we want to create on the local chapter?
3) How many members will need to form a Chapter?
4) How are we going to divide the logistically all the chapters sothat member can be served well?
5) What kind of activities want to do in local chapter to be in touch?
6) How are we going to put the all the chapters links to ANTA web site sothat people can all the information?
7) As we know our member from Terai community are very, how are we going to contact with the new comers and how we can add value to them so that they also can be part of the network?
8) How many people will be in the local chapater level executive committee? etc....

These questions are just some thoughts. ANTA is still a toddler. We need to build the organisational in a such a way that it has a system and it will run for the coming future without much problems.

It is a just like say that Wall mart is opening store in certain to location to serve the customers in that particular area. We got to figure out regional wise how are going to serve madhesi in that area.

I believe that Chapters main role will be to facilitates the ANTA's purpose and goals and serve the members in that area through it chapters. Motto will something like ANTA.. "ACT and SERVE Locally..be nationally in North America" These are also some ideas I am throwing you guys,

Thanks again for doing great job. At this stage I am trying to gather every one's view. After getting every body's ideas.. I will compile everyone ideas and forward to all for discussion to executive committee. After that according to our set criteria we will open all other chapters in different part of the country.

I look forward to here from you.

br

Jay M 1

I think we should make use of our website, Terai.org. That is our office, our only office. For a group as geographically dispersed as we are, that is it. And it should also grow to become a resource site for the Madhesis back in Nepal.

We want to open as many chapters all over the US as possible. It does not have to be just in the big cities. If there are two Madhesis in some small little town, they should launch a chapter.

It is for each chapter to decide how many officers they will have. Some might have just the president, some might have president, vice president, secretary and treasurer, some might have more. The process should be decentralized. ANTA is not a top-bottom organization, it is bottom-up.

If a local chapter meets once every two months for tea, that is good enough. It is for each chapter to decide how much more they want to do.

The website should have an inside zone for members.

Next step: lay a strong claim to the Desi identity. Personally I hope to build a strong, pan American Desi Caucus. But that ties in with Dean 2008 for me.

No comments: